Lorraine Gary is a Retired American Actress.
Early Life[edit | edit source]
Lorraine was born on August, 16, 1937 in Forest Hills, Queens, New York City, New York, USA. Her Mother's name is Betty Gottfried and her father's name is George Gottfried who is an entertainment business manager. At an early age, she relocated with her family to Los Angeles, California, where she was raised. At age 16, she won a best actress award in a competition at the prestigious Pasadena Playhouse. She was offered a scholarship to enroll at the Pasadena Playhouse, but declined and attended Columbia University as a political science major instead.
Personal Life[edit | edit source]
On 19 August 1956, Gary married entertainment industry executive Sidney Sheinberg, with whom she has two sons. She and Sid have been married for 50 years. She is currently 82 years old.
Credits[edit | edit source]
- Jaws (Actress-Ellen Brody Role)
- Jaws 2 (Actress-Ellen Brody Role)
- Jaws: The Revenge (Actress-Ellen Brody Role)
- The Shark Is Still Working (Herself)
- Jaws: The Inside Story (herself)
- The Making of Steven Spielberg's 'Jaws' (Herself)
- Behind the Scenes with 'Jaws: The Revenge' (Herself)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Her birth name is Lorraine Gottfried
- Her acting career was active from 1967 to 1987
- She retired for eight years after starring in the film '1941' but then came out of her voluntary retirement to reprise Ellen Brody in Jaws: The Revenge.
- Her sons, Bill Sheinberg and Jonathan Sheinberg, are both film producers.
- Sheinberg is a member of the Human Rights Watch Women's Rights Advisory Committee, for whom she produced and directed a series of fourteen educational videotapes, and an Advisory Board Member of Ms. Magazine and Girls Learn International.
- In 1995, together with her husband, Gary received the Simon Wiesenthal Center's Humanitarian Award.
- Was nominated twice for two awards in her career (A Razzie award and a Saturn Award); both in the same year: 1987
- Acted in 32 productions during her career (Films and TV Shows)
- Height: 5'8" (1.73 m)
- Her star sign is Leo
- She felt obliged to come out of her self-imposed retirement for the "Jaws" sequels, but has done little since.
- In the film 'Back to the Future' (1985), Marty McFly's mother was named after her.
- She came out of voluntary retirement to assume a rare substantial starring role in the regrettably dreadful Jaws: The Revenge (1987) but, alas, hasn't acted in anything since that ill-received feature.
- She Appeared as herself in a few documentaries
- Jaws 3 is the only film in the series that she does not appear in
- Did not appear in the Documentary "The Making of 'Jaws 2' " despite the fact that she appeared in the Film